Friday 22 February 2013

Ill Form and Void Full

Ill Form and Void Full - an exhibition by Laura Letinsky at the Photographers Gallery visited last Saturday on an OCA study trip.

To begin with, I found it quite disturbing to look at the images.  The ambiguity of where the planes lie made me feel uneasy.  Once I'd understood that Letinsky is playing with light and shade and showing the relationship between positive and negative space I began to imagine how the scenes were created.  Not sure about the subject matter - she is playing with time showing food in various stages of consumption and decay, but why? 

To be honest, I found the exhibition interesting, particularly looking at the composition in each and examining thirds, quadrants, bisections, and receding centre-pieces, but I can't say I liked it.  Intriguing but not pleasing.  I'm not a big fan of still life photography, so may be this has something to do with it - I'm more interested in outdoors subjects - but it has given me some food for thought for TAOP As4!

I did like the white and shadow of white though and particularly with the use of orange in the exhibition and OCA people!

No comments:

Post a Comment